Quick Fix – Manually Installing The Adobe PDF Printer for Acrobat 9

On occasion, when installing Adobe Acrobat 9 (as well as some other versions) the application will fail to install the “Adobe PDF” printer that typically resides in your Printers and Faxes folder in Windows XP.  This not only prevents Acrobat from creating any PDF files, but it also breaks the PDFMaker plugin functionality that gets added to Office when installing Acrobat.

The following instructions will help you restore the missing PDF printer:

1) Open the Printers and Faxes dialog box and select Add a Printer

2) Click Next then select Local printer attached to this computer, and deselect the Automatically detect and install my Plug and play printer box.  Click Next.

3) In the port selection box, choose My Documents\*.pdf (Adobe PDF) and click Next.

4) On the following screen, select Have Disk. Click Browse then navigate to the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\Xtras\AdobePDF folder and highlight the AdobePDF.inf file.  Click Open, then OK.

5) When presented with a list of Adobe PDF Converter options, select the first item from the list and click Next.

6) When prompted for a printer name, change the value to Adobe PDF.  Naming it anything else will break the Office plugin functionality.

7) Click Next through the remaining dialog boxes, selecting the appropriate options for your configuration as you go along.

At this point, the printer should be installed.  If the application is requesting files from your Windows CD, you will need to locate the proper files for your service pack level either by browsing on your computer or downloading then extracting the service pack executable.  This portion of the install varies by computer as I have had the install require these additional files about half the time.

If you are later prompted for the ADPDF9.PPD file, it can be found in the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\Xtras\AdobePDF\StdPPD folder.

That should be it.  once you have finished the installation and provided Windows with the additional files if needed, you should be well on your way to creating PDFs!

This entry was written by Mike , posted on Friday March 20 2009at 10:03 am , filed under Quick Fix, Technology, Walk-throughs and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink . Post a comment below or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

108 Responses to “Quick Fix – Manually Installing The Adobe PDF Printer for Acrobat 9”

• Alix says:

I was able to add pdf printer thank you but now instade of save to .pdf it save to .prm
    what should i do?
    Regards
    Alix

• Marj Wyatt says:

After a motherboard failure, there always is a bit of thrashing to get all of your applications running the way they used to on your old computer. Such was the case with the Adobe PDF printer on the new (used) laptop that I purchased.

Thanks so much for posting this article and explaining so clearly how to set up the printer port manually. People like you are a real gift!

• jim says:

I get an error message “Printer driver was not installed. Operation could not bge completed (error 0×00000002)
    tried disabling real-time virus scanning, still the same

running CS5 design Premium & Acrobat Pro 9.3.4 on Windows 7 64 bit

• Vincent says:

Having the same problem as Jim (and same config). Anyone else?

• Giovanni says:

Solved this way: had the same problem with Acrobat X. First of all looked at the event viewer to see where the problem was. I discovered that during install (in Vista 32 bit) if an error occurs like “Printer driver was not installed. Operation could not be completed (error 0×00000002)” is created a sort of event logger in c:\users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue there are 4 files in this kind of folders the one with the .tmp extension is our file. Open it and read exactly where the problems is.
        I discovered at first that the problem was that the system was not able to find the file PSCRIPT5.DLL so i copied all the postscript files (listed in the .tmp as above) in C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3
        Second there was a problem with this path:
        c:\program files\adobe\acrobat 10.0\acrobat\xtras\adobepdf\StdPPD\adpdf9k.ppd looking in that folder i doscovered that the folder StdPPD wasn’t there!! (Acrobat installer problem?)
        so i created the folder c:\program files\adobe\acrobat 10.0\acrobat\xtras\adobepdf\StdPPD and copied all the .PPD files from C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Xtras\AdobePDF\I386 to the newly created folder.
        I then manually reinstalled the Adobe PDF Converter printer and now the printer was in place among the other printers of the system.
        It should be verified if after this modifications restoring the Adobe installation will do the same work as manually installation.

• Kristen says:

I’m using Windows 7 and under “use an existing port”, I can’t find “My Documents\*.pdf (Adobe PDF)” or anything like that (all I have is a list of LPT and COM ports). I tried using the “FILE:” port but that didn’t work. Any ideas?

• andrew says:

same problem as Kristen…..please help!

• John says:

Running XP/ No AdobePDF.inf to select, I used AdobePDFstd instead. It worked fine.
    Thanks for the help

• Suzanne says:

I got to the have disk section and clicked browse. Under C: I choose program files but there was no adobe but if I choose Program files (x86) it lists adobe but then acrobat.com and then it doesn’t follow the same instructions, only gives me assets, bin-debug, and META-INF. Can you help me?

• Gaurang says:

Solved my problem!
    Thank you so much for your help.
    You guys are great.

• Graeme says:

Very well-written instructions. Thank you.

• uyinmhuu says:

Thanks ,
    I have a lots of dificult to convert my document to pdf with acrobad in missing adobe pdf printer. After your fix suggection, It rework very well.

Thanks a lots .
    Regard
    Uyin Mhuu

• Tana says:

Thank you thank you thank you!! I ugraded to Acrobat 8, and lost my “Adobe PDF” option under printer… was reluctnat to call IT or to try the other gazillion fixes I found online, but this one worked like a charm! Thanks, you just saved me hours and a big headache! ;-)

• Roman says:

Congratulation for the fantastic help.
    Nothing more to add. Many thanks.

• Cee Kay says:

Thanks a lot! Your article helped me in a crunch when I was on the phone with a client and needed to install Adobe PDF printer for her.

• Jean says:

Thank you so much!!!! I have been fighting this for a year! Great instructions!!!!

• Suzanne says:

Yes, same problem/ error message and same configuration, though it’s Acrobat Pro 9.42. This is very frustrating.

• Beth says:

I am having a similar problem, but on Windows 7 with Acrobat Reader 10. I can’t seem to find the files referenced in the instructions to install. Please help.

Thanks!!

• Tom says:

I do not have the .inf file nor the AdobePDFstd file somebody mentioned. Any ideas?

• Tom says:

I do not have the .inf file nor do I have the AdobePDFstd file as someone mentioned. Any ideas?

• Malek says:

Perfect! It works. Thanks for the forum.

• FastBrad says:

Giovanni’s solution worked wonders for me, I am running Windows 7 Ultimate X64, Adobe Acrobat 10x. Saved me from trying the uninstall/install cycle. thanks a million! Ü

• oz says:

had to reinstall coz printer was giving me strange errors.

removed printer, and then started with this guide
    but on the point 4) i’ve selected “adobe” as manufacturer and “pdf printer” as model, worked like a charm.
    (had 2 versions of the driver to choose from, took the newest).

thanks

• Jim Riekse says:

What worked in my case (Win7 x86) was choosing the last .inf (sorted alphabetically) and the last PDF Converter choice in the list. This gave me the UAC prompt and installed without the 0×0000002 error.

• Nimbus says:

I did as you told but.But it does not prompt for a location to print the pdf

• Geoffrey says:

it works and instruction in details, and it prompt for location for file fold. Thanks!

• Delta says:

Thank you so much, it worked perfectly with my XP and resolved the problem.

• Delta says:

Thanks for being so helpful in resolving the problem on my XP

• john galt says:

Oh my GOD!!!
    Thank you so much for these perfectly detailed and easy to follow instructions.
    Worked fine for Acrobat X on XP Pro. 32 bit.
    thanks.

• Sasha says:

Thank you for the detailed step-by-step…it worked a treat!

• Chris says:

Funny, now acrobat X has a “repair acrobat installation” option under the “help” tab. This fixes it.

• John says:

Thanks – will try and pray it works

• Mike says:

Yeah I can’t get it to work. I can add the printer fine but when printing I get:

“Your file waiting to be printed was deleted.”

Win764
    Adobe Acrobat 10 (not installed just copied). I only want the PDF Printer.

I have tried just copying the .INF files to install and the whole Adobe folder there was no difference in it. Giovanni’s post was correct as in the files are there but the XML contains no indication of missing or required files. It just lists all the files and DIR’s that are there.

• Paul B. says:

Thank you! Your solution works well.

• Mooranth says:

Awesomely simple and quick fix for missing PDF PRINTER on Windows 7 after installing Acrobat X as a part of CS 5.5. Why doesn’t Adobe pick up on clear simple answers like this for problems Adobe has created? But thank god for The Doctor!

• ChrystinP says:

I’m using Windows 7 Ultimate and Acrobat 10 Pro has been installed for awhile, but tonight the Adobe printer has gone missing. I followed the instructions somewhat and mine is working fine now. Thank you very much for the great directions and assistance!

1) Add printer
    2) Click on Add local printer
    3) Use existing port radio button, drop down box,: LPT1 (printer port)
    4) Install printer driver, manufacturers on left side of dialog box, printer options on right side of dialog box. The first printer was an older version and date 9.5.0.0 8/19/2010. I chose the second printer version 9.6.0.0 4/18/2011, then click ‘next.’
    5) Which version of the driver do you want to use? I chose radio button, “Use the driver that is currently installed (recommended)”
    6) Printer name default is “Adobe PDF converter” and I left it as is, click on next and it installed perfectly.

Prints like it always did. Again, thank you!

• Jan says:

Since buying a new computer with Windows 7 64 bit and installing CS4 the Adobe pdf printer has never worked. I tried the steps above – still not working. Does it have something to do with the ,inf file being located in the Programs Files (x86) folder which are for 32 bit? Should I copy that file over the Programs Files folder? Is it ok for that file to be located in both folders if I do so? I really need to be able to print to pdf. Having to use my old computer to do it is a hassle. The Adobe pdf printer works fine on that machine. Thanks for any help!

• darsh says:

thanx

• darsh says:

thanx alot

• darsh says:

• darsh says:

thanx ur so cool for

• darsh says:

• darsh says:

thanx alooooot

• Mark S says:

I use these bits of info I find alot and hardly ever have time to say thank you. Tonight, I am changing that. Thank you for being kind enough to share your knowledge and experiences. This one worked great and saved me alot of grief.

• Mike S says:

Worked like a charm! Thanks very much for taking the time and making the effort to share this with the community. My computer needed some files for i386 folder in addition to your instructions. Why couldn’t Adobe have something so straight forward and helpful?

• Megapolis Hack Cheats Tool…

The Dr’s Office » Quick Fix – Manually Installing The Adobe PDF Printer for Acrobat 9…